You might be aware of the fact that water softeners usually start leaking out the resin after years of usages. When the system starts leaking out the resin, then you will start noticing yellow beads into the plumbing system of your bathtubs, toilet, and sink. Although this is not an alarming situation because these yellow beads are not toxic, but these beads usually get clogged up into the smaller passages of the plumbing preventing the good flow of water. So, it is necessary that the plumbing must be inspected regularly to flush out this resin build-up out of your plumbing system. The process for resin removal in your water softener is outlined below which you need to follow carefully to flush out the resin build-up from the system and always get a good flow of water from the plumbing system without blockage.
How Does This Resin Beads Build-up in Pipes of Water Softeners?
Water Softener is designed with brine tank where these resin beads are available. These beads are cleaned regularly with the use of salt. The salt is available in the salt holding tank of the water softeners. The machine will regenerate and clean these beads at night when no water is required. When the membrane which holds the resin beads break, the beads tend to flow or travel freely into the plumbing system. The most common sign of membrane breakage is lower pressure of water flow into the plumbing system and the prime culprit for this low pressure is the water softeners.
When you notice that the Water Softener is causing the low water pressure and backwashing the resin in the plumbing system, then you simply need to put the system into bypass mode. The process of putting the machine into bypass mode varies from brands to brands and it actually involves turning the valve off or pushing the lever of bypass mode to turn it on. When you turn this system on, no water will pass through the softener and this will prevent the extra beads to flow through the plumbing system.
However, you need to ensure that now water is running while you are solving the issues with the system, especially hot water. Keeping the water flowing would increase the risk of leakage of beads into the water heater. This will further increase your task along with flushing out the resin beads form your water heater. So, to prevent this from happening you are required to avoid using hot water during the process of cleaning the resin beads.
How to Remove Water Softener Resin Out of Pipe?
• Firstly, you need to close the valves of your Water Softeners and then open the bypass valve of your system
• Now drain out all the water from your water heater. The fragmented resins would damage the heaters and also the plumbing fixtures
• All the screens from your water faucets need to be removed and resins will break down over time and now you will get into the water line clogging showerheads along with the faucet screens. Open the cold water supply valves to flush out the system
• Now clean the water supply from the washer point and run the washing machine, dishwasher, sinks at kitchen and bathroom and other water-using appliances.
• Now check if you see any resin in the running water.
If you still see the appliances are clogged and the water pressure is low, then turn them off and detach the water hoses and check for all the clogs. Clean the hoses to clean the beads and also check the connections and remove beads that are clogging them. Reattach and run the appliances again.